Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

How did it all start

"You have a flair for languages" - a friend told me once.(I picked up Persian pretty quickly when I was a kid and was pretty fluent at it. My Persian friends used to tell me that I sounded almost like a native.) That is when i decided I wanted to learn another language.

A few months later I enrolled myself for a hobby course in Japanese language at the embassy school - that is after my dad suggested that I take up the language. He somehow felt it was a better choice and also he wanted me to take up something which was different from what others were choosing. (It was not a popular choice back then in 1996 as almost everybody who took up
language as a hobby or profession, pursued either French or German and I had almost made up my mind to learn either of the two)
I never realized back then that - that decision on that day would end up shaping my career and in a way my life..........

I am not at all being modest when I say that I was not a high scorer in school or college but I excelled at Japanese. I still don't know if I have a flair for languages but yes, I did fall in love with the language. Learning Kanjis to me was fun. I loved practicing and memorizing Kanjis. My friend used to call me a "walking dictionary of Kanjis" .....and after learning the language for 3 years i got a scholarship to work and study in Japan for an year.

I landed in Japan on 13th of January, 1999 - on Lohri, considered to be an auspicious day in India. It was an early winter morning. and guess what - i saw Mt Fuji the very first day...and I saw it from the cockpit of the plane (The pilot/air-hostess offered me to come over to the cockpit and see around if I wanted to.....:) good for them that I was not a hijacker;) ........and when we flew over Mt. Fuji, the captain told me - there...you see...that is Mt. Fuji.....and i still cannot forget the site of it...it stood tall and beautiful wearing the famous "ice cap" and every bit as beautiful as I had always imagined it to be....and much much more..

(A legend has it that if you see Mt. Fuji once, you definitely get a chance to see it again at least once. Mt. Fuji never forgets you and almost always calls you back once for sure)

To comment, please log in with your gmail account ID.

1 comment:

  1. Mt. Fuji for me brings to mind a quote I read in a J D Salinger novel: O snail, climb Mt. Fuji, but slowly, slowly!

    ReplyDelete